The generational gap as it would seem is growing with every year that passes. When I was younger I used to think the older generation was just a little different, now I’ve decided it’s all intentional and probably a hit t.v. show in nursing homes across the country – like ‘jack-ass for seniors’ some times I believe they do things just for a reaction out of people, and it’s a comedy. Because when you stand back and replay 90% of things that happen involving seniors is HILARIOUS! After I give you such a descriptive intro you can only imagine what this post is about.

As it would happen this morning after throwing myself down the stairs at the gym, simply to get to the bottom, I find it much easier after working out then to brave the cement death traps – only kidding, it is dangerous terrain though wobbly legs and all. Standing in the small dressing room staring at my dress hanging in front of me thinking “Here we go again folks” and I drop the towel still wet from the shower, and as I am leaning in to grab my unmentionables on the bench the dressing room curtain is ripped back with the gusto of a 10 year old……

“Mind if I share this room with you, I just don’t like getting undressed in front of other people”

Still bent over, naked as the day I was born, I can’t even get a word out before this elderly woman squeezes past me to monopolize the corner of the small ONE MAN bench. I stand momentarily stunned with my back to lil miss friendly honestly waiting for someone to yell out for their grandmother who obviously was lost, at which point I hear the zipper on the oh so cliché polyester pant suit. As I attempt to gather my things without actually bending over which would take up the other half of the small space, she begins to chatter away about the spin class she is changing for. Clutching my clothes and now wrinkled dress I reach for the curtain…….

“I’m not rushing you out am I?” she asks this with genuine confusion, how could I break her heart…..

“No not at all, I generally just get naked in here than go out to the main area to get dressed”

She nodded her head like that was a solid plan and went back to humming along. Standing in the middle of the open locker room I noticed something – No one under the age of 50 would make eye contact with me and all my naked glory as a I slowly got dressed, and yet the elderly women seemingly moved closer and if I wasn’t mistaken congregated around my blessed nudity, and sure enough once I was dressed puttered out of the locker room. I belted out a deep sincere laugh – what the hell??? While curling my hair I contemplated the whole scene and remember the generational difference even small ones like dressing rooms and shared space for women, I mean back in the day nudity of course was so rare…..unless of course you were with other women in a practical environment. I remember the first time my daughter saw her Nana nude I thought her little heart would seize up, we were at a public swimming pool and after swimming all day went in to change out of our wet suits – the locker room didn’t have fancy stalls for changing just long benches – and true to my mother’s hippy form she just peels off her suit right there eye level with a stunned 4 year old who instantly shouted “Nana everyone can see your privates!” and if I remember correctly my mother said something along the lines of “Well they shouldn’t be looking then huh”

No comments:

Post a Comment